Written Life 2.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Oblivion Plays "Cave Story: Jenka's Nightmare"

4 posters

Go down

Oblivion Plays "Cave Story: Jenka's Nightmare" Empty Oblivion Plays "Cave Story: Jenka's Nightmare"

Post by Oblivion Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:07 pm

EDIT FOR TABLE OF CONTENTS
Episode One: In a Cave with a Box of Snakes
Episode Two: Pipe Dream
Episode Three: Tilting at Windmills
Episode Four: Gravity is a Harsh Mistress
Episode Five: Spontaneous Generation
Episode Six: Buried Beneath the Sand
Episode Seven: Mazes and Monsters
Episode Eight: Melancholy Misery
Episode Nine: All that Glitters is not Gems
Episode Ten: Labyrinth Lunge

----------

"I should do a Let's Play"
Or so some of you guys have told me. And I do have several games I'd like to play sitting on my computer and/or Steam drive....

So now that I'm (mostly) finished transferring stuff over to the new comp, maybe I could actually try doing one of these. Here's a small list of  options, you tell me what you want to see.

> Pokemon: Eevee Edition
> Chrono Trigger: Crimson Echoes
> Cave Story: Jenka's Nightmare
> An Untitled Story

Bastion I do have on Steam and I do want to get around to playing it, but it's not on the list at this time as I haven't yet transferred my Steam stuff over to the new comp. Maybe after I do one or two of these and finish with the transfers completely, I'll add my Steam games (or at least the ones that would be entertaining to LP/watch be LPed) to the future request list.

Also would you guys prefer I try to record these and YouTube them, or do a screenshots-only LP?

And yes I know I have a bazillion other things on my "eventually get done" list but these games are among them and I'm in kind of a bluh don't know what to write/where to go with writing phase as far as my various stories go... let's just ignore that for now =)

Last edited by Oblivion on Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:45 am; edited 5 times in total
Oblivion
Oblivion
Admin

http://foxtailstudios.com/

Back to top Go down

Oblivion Plays "Cave Story: Jenka's Nightmare" Empty Re: Oblivion Plays "Cave Story: Jenka's Nightmare"

Post by Swifto Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:35 pm

I actually vote against doing a Let's Play of Bastion. If done by screenshots, a lot of the charm, that is the narrator, will be lost. But if it's done via youtube, that same narrator and you will both kinda be trying to fight for airtime.

I vote Cave Story: Jenka's Nightmare via youtube. A nice simple side-scroller to start it easy. (and if you narrate it with silly voices for the characters, double bonus for me)
Swifto
Swifto

Back to top Go down

Oblivion Plays "Cave Story: Jenka's Nightmare" Empty Re: Oblivion Plays "Cave Story: Jenka's Nightmare"

Post by Oblivion Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:53 pm

I will probably end up borrowing DeceasedCrab's interpretation of Balrog at least. HUZZAH!!!

I haven't actually played Bastion yet, so I didn't know about the Narrator. The four games I listed I've at least played a little of them, so I won't be going in completely blind, but also I haven't completed (or even done the majority of) any of them. I think An Untitled Story is the one I've gotten farthest in, and I know I didn't even get halfway. I have watched LPs/playthroughs of An Untitled Story and Crimson Echoes, but it's been quite some time on both so I don't recall all the details.
Oblivion
Oblivion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Face Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:34 pm

Truth be told, I'm really not a fan of video LPs. Then again, I can't say much else in regards to screenshot ones since I've only read the Pokemon ones which are gold.

I've never heard of Jenka's Nightmare or Untitled Story, what are those?
Face
Face
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ladybug Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:37 pm

Screenshot LPs will eat up whatever storage you plan to use like you wouldn't believe.
Ladybug
Ladybug
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Oblivion Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:39 pm

Jenka's Nightmare is a fanmade sequel to Cave Story, pretty well-made one at that. It was started and abandoned halfway through or so; another user picked it up and finished it.

An Untitled Story is a little freeware game that starts off being about a little egg wandering around a mostly-undefined region, it's a big exploration/wandering type game.

Honestly I'd say the game type matters best. I've found most RPGs are kind of bluh to sit through on a video LP unless the commentator is really amusing (Chuggaaconroy is one of the few I like for this); otherwise it gets really repetitive and all, especially if there are a lot of random encounters or grinding; I feel screenshot LPs work well for RPGs - get the necessary dialogue and bits and pieces of interesting battle scenes, but skip over the rest. (Though what Lady mentions IS a bit of an issue - I might have to rely on Photobucket for it if I go that route.) But for a platformer like Cave Story or An Untitled Story a screenshot LP misses a lot of the exploration aspects that make much of the main allure of the game.
Oblivion
Oblivion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Face Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:54 pm

Yeah it really depends on the game.

As far as I can tell, if you're not going to do a lot of editing, video LPs might be less time consuming (My FE screenshot LP took me forever to do; I'm assuming other LPers have some quick-n-easy secret.) I think if you were to do a video LP, I'd vote for Untitled Story.
Face
Face
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Oblivion Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:01 am

When I did Pokemon Brown back on DomiNation, I would just spam the screenshot button and toss together the pics in DropBox and link them as necessary; it was still pretty time consuming to type up though, yes.

The few videos of Terranigma I did (before the recorder screwed up on me and I didn't want to go through the headache of redoing the sections and ended up losing interest in the LP and playing well beyond where I left off, until I got stuck on something and lost interest in the game for now) did not take long at all to do - the videos would be 10-15 minutes long apiece, I'd take a little time to get the audio lined up with the video in Movie Maker (as I had to record them separately due to the setup on the old computer - I'll have to figure out if I'll need to do the same on the laptop or if Bandicam will be able to pick up game audio and my voice at the same time), and then compress it to web-video-ready format and upload. It sounds complex, but it was fairly easy - I have almost no video-making experience so I was fumbling along figuring this out as I went - and didn't take long at all, maybe half an hour in total (not counting recording time of course).
Oblivion
Oblivion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Oblivion Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:20 am

Alright, since one vote for each of the side-scrollers, I'll leave it to a coin flip... and looks like Jenka's Nightmare wins. Will do that first then follow it up with An Untitled Story. After that, I should have access to my Steam library as well as other games I'm transferring over from the old computer, so a more complete list will be available to pick from.

I'll probably end up doing a screenshot LP of Crimson Echoes somewhere along the way, since I can play and take screenshots while chatting with you guys on Skype, whereas I won't be able to do that with the video ones. Probably after I finish/get bored with Volt White. Then maybe Eevee Edition when that's done.

Will see about starting sometime over the weekend. =) Updates will likely be slow, maybe one or two a week, depending on stuff.
Oblivion
Oblivion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Swifto Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:20 am

Awww yeah
Lookin' forward to these!
Swifto
Swifto

Back to top Go down

Post by Oblivion Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:18 pm

Oblivion
Oblivion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Oblivion Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:24 pm

Oblivion
Oblivion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ladybug Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:00 pm

Oblivion wrote:

Ladybug
Ladybug
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ladybug Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:01 pm

Just hit the youtube button on the editor and drop the url in.
Ladybug
Ladybug
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Oblivion Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:40 pm

Buttons aren't showing up for me for some reason. Assuming NoScript is eating them....

EDIT: Yup, that was it. Thanks.
Oblivion
Oblivion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Oblivion Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:42 am

Oblivion
Oblivion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down