Suggestions for a Nuzlocke run

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Suggestions for a Nuzlocke run

Post by Face on Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:11 pm

I have been wanting to try a Nuzlocke run for a while now, but I've never been sure which game to try this on. Since I'll be chronicling my progress in the form of either the form of an LP or a comic (as per the rules of the Nuzlocke run), I thought I would ask the board for some ideas.

Of the Pokemon series, I own:

-Diamond
-HeartGold
-Black
-X (which I refuse to do since that'd involve deleting all my recent accomplishments)

I could easily do one of the 3rd Gen games via emulator, as well as any fan-made games. A couple in particular I'd been looking at were Darkcry and Omicron/Zeta (still in beta but over 80% completed).
Face
Admin

Back to top Go down

Re: Suggestions for a Nuzlocke run

Post by Oblivion on Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:30 pm

I've never heard of those two hacks, send me links when I get home =)

Of the core I'd vote HeartGold because it's my favorite gen/story. Black second.

For Hacks I'd suggest either Flora Sky or Glazed version. (Flora Sky I think is complete [and has two different versions], Glazed is about 75% done, with two complete regions and a third mentioned but not yet visitable.)

you have medieval knights wearing rennaiscane era armor, wielding roman era falcatas, worshipping greek gods, traveling with native american shamans wearing the hides of saharan beasts, who transform into prehistoric dinosaurs who are accompanied by modern japanese schoolgirls wielding Tokugawa Era Daisho and Wearing black pajamas, and old men wearing robes and pointed hats who chant mathematical equations to control reality, on a journey to kill brain eating space aliens, giant sentient firebreathing spellcasting reptiles and sentient jello.
Oblivion
Admin

http://foxtailstudios.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Face on Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:21 pm

Pokemon Zeta / Omicron: http://www.pokemonzetaomicron.com/
It even has an in-game option for a Nuzlocke run.

Flora Sky and Glazed look pretty interesting too, I'll admit.
Face
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Swifto on Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:33 pm

I remember your Fire Emblem LP.

This oughta be glorious.

That said; I'd vote Diamond since I'm the least familiar with it, but having nice screenshots from an emulator would be boss.

Back to top Go down

Post by Oblivion on Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:54 pm

Danke for links =)
Edit: Oh awesome, these were made in RPGMaker. I'm going to have to play them now for pointers and tips.

Face wrote:Flora Sky and Glazed look pretty interesting too, I'll admit.
Hop on skype and I'll send you roms with patches already applied.

you have medieval knights wearing rennaiscane era armor, wielding roman era falcatas, worshipping greek gods, traveling with native american shamans wearing the hides of saharan beasts, who transform into prehistoric dinosaurs who are accompanied by modern japanese schoolgirls wielding Tokugawa Era Daisho and Wearing black pajamas, and old men wearing robes and pointed hats who chant mathematical equations to control reality, on a journey to kill brain eating space aliens, giant sentient firebreathing spellcasting reptiles and sentient jello.
Oblivion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Face on Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:47 pm

Swifto wrote:I remember your Fire Emblem LP.

This oughta be glorious.

That said; I'd vote Diamond since I'm the least familiar with it, but having nice screenshots from an emulator would be boss.
I love the level of control one has over a screencap LP but good god they are one of the most tedious things to put together.
(Also I'd have to do a 3rd Gen game unless I decided to emulate DS ones as well.)

Diamond was the one I originally considered doing, but the game had a notoriously slow frame-rate that was only fixed in Platinum, a lack of Fire-types outside of the starter and Ponyta (still I found a way around that when I first played it), and what is generally considered to be the hardest Champion in the series which means the ending is guaranteed to be a downer, knowing my luck.

That said, I'm not ruling it out. I'm just a little apprehensive.
Face
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Oblivion on Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:53 pm

I think I actually ended up using Rapidash as my fire-type in Pearl due to lack of options.

I've played 5th gen at least on emulator - if you want to do that, I recommend instead doing Blaze Black or Volt White (and their respective sequels) rather than the basic Black or White.

Oblivion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Swifto on Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:57 am

Platinum fixes the frame rate issue?
Does... Does that mean that battles don't move at a crawl?
I might actually find and buy Platinum if it does.

Of note: DS Emulation works pretty well, at least when I tried it several years back. It's probably better nowadays.

Back to top Go down

Post by Oblivion on Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:53 am

I use DeSmuMe, it works well, if a little laggy sometimes.

FYI Warning: Blaze Black/Volt White (and BB2/VW2) are significantly tougher than the originals. The documentation PDFs I sent with the roms go over the changes in pretty good detail.

And am I the only person who didn't notice the slowness in Diamond/Pearl the first time I played it? I never had a complaint about it until I tried it in my 2DS instead of regular DS, and by then I'd already learned of the issue - if I hadn't, I would have blamed some hardware problem between the game and the more-advanced-than-designed-for 2/3DS system. Or maybe I'm just oblivious as per usual.

Oblivion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Swifto on Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:57 pm

Diamond is the only game where I turned off the battle animations.

It still felt like a slog at times.

Why does there have to be a .7 second pause after the attack and the health meter draining down slowly, auuuuugh.

Back to top Go down

Post by Face on Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:05 pm

It was something I'd gradually noticed as I continued playing. It had also been a long time since I'd played a Pokemon game so I assumed that was standard fare until I played HeartGold a while later.

Oblivion wrote:FYI Warning: Blaze Black/Volt White (and BB2/VW2) are significantly tougher than the originals.
Considering I already found Black to be one of the more challenging entries, this might make a self-imposed Hard mode even, well, harder.
Face
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Oblivion on Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:16 pm

I'd recommend giving it a regular playthrough in advance then. And have a look at the PDFs, so you can know some things that have changed (which Pokemon are stronger, whose types changed, who gained new moves/abilities/etc., and so forth).

Oblivion
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top